Tuesday 23 February 2021

Maton EM100C-808 Messiah


Maton EM100C-808 Messiah, Jane Laws Music

My journey to purchase a new guitar, to compliment my Maton EM225 Dreadnought, began two years ago. I am not a collector of guitars. Until 2021 only two acoustic guitars have ever lived in my house, my first guitar, a "learn to play" Yamaha, purchased in 1974, and my trusted friend, my Maton EM225 (1996).


Maton EM100C-808 Messiah, Jane Laws Music, Kosmic Sound
Trying out the Messiah at Kosmic Sound.
Two years ago the pickup in my EM225 developed a ground hum which could not be fixed even by Perth's best technicians. I thought I was destined to buy another dreadnought as I am a dread kind a gal. Then a chance discussion with a technician at The Rock Inn in Mt Lawley suggested that maybe the old pickup could be replaced with a new, state of the art Maton AP5 Pro. After discussions with Maton in Melbourne I said "let's do it." The AP5 Pro has breathed new life into my EM225 and opened up the opportunity for me to purchase a "different sounding guitar" as my new best friend.


For a couple of years I looked around and played many guitars from all over the world, but I always came back to Maton. In January 2021 Kosmic Sound had a great selection of Maton guitars for me to try out. I sat down in their practice room for two hours playing one guitar and then another. I kept coming back to the EM100C-808 Messiah. I was enjoying the beautiful chime of this guitar, the high notes sounded like a harp whispering on the wind; a very different sound to my dreadnought - exactly what I was looking for. The next thing I knew I was at the checkout and my 808 was in her flight case ready for the drive home.


Maton EM100C-808 Messiah, Jane Laws Music
Nothing like getting out in the bush and playing a few tunes.

Maton EM225 & EM100C-808 Messiah, Jane Laws Music
Double the fun.

To say I am thoroughly enjoying my 808 Messiah is an understatement. I can seamlessly change from the EM225 to the EM100C-808 as the neck profile feels identical. At the moment I have the EM225 in standard tuning and the 808 in Double Drop D. My 808 has arrived just in time as I am working on recording my fifth studio album, Timing and Expectation.


I have just recorded my first song with my new 808, Help Me Free My Mind. In recent years songwriters have been encouraged to write songs about mental health to help bring community awareness to this most sensitive and important subject. I recorded the Help Me Free My Mind “lockdown video,” just as the sun was slipping below the horizon.





Every time I lay eyes on the Messiah I smile a contented smile. I think of picking her up and writing a song with her all the time. I bought the right guitar and every time the flight case catches my eye I think "Have flight case, must travel;" watch this space.


Jane Laws - Timing and Expectation
New album - due for release in 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment