Tuesday 25 April 2017

Fairbridge Festival 2017

Fairbridge Festival

Three and a half days of full on music and song means you need to pace yourself if you want to still be rockin' come Monday night. No panic to see all your favourite musos on the first day, it's a festival where you can just kick back, relax, and let the music wash over you.

Fairbridge Festival
Just some of the many market stalls

My top four Fairbridge Festival favourites were:

Jarlath Henderson - Fairbridge Festival
Jarlath Henderson
Jack Harris, contemporary singer/songwriter from the UK, took my attention early in the festival and I was lucky to attend Jack's song writing workshop on Sunday night. On guitar tunings, Jack said "I use DADGAD a lot." My guitar now sits patiently in this tuning, waiting for me to learn how to use the wonderful colour and texture of this sound in my next song.

Jarlath Henderson (UK) took my breath away. I could honestly say that I have never seen anyone deliver a folk song with more stage presence and meaning; truly memorable.

Bluegrass band, Flats and Sharps, rocked up some bluegrass tunes beyond what I ever thought possible. Although bluegrass isn't high on my list of favourite genres, Flats and Sharps could be just what's needed to convert folks to the bluegrass twang.

Miss Eileen & King Lear - Fairbridge Festival
Miss Eileen & King Lear

I completely fell in love with Australian duo, Miss Eileen & King Lear. Although they were noted in the program as "contemporary folk," their sound was "country" to me. I couldn't get enough of their harmonies, like only a brother and sister can; these guys are going a long way.


Fairbridge Festival
One of the food areas

I noticed on the last day, while I was relaxing in The Manja venue, enjoying a few tunes from Harry Hookey, I said to myself "I'm safe here." This is how it feels at Fairbridge Festival. It is as if, for a moment in time, you have transcended into a world of music and art, where all generations co-exist, in harmony, and it is a pleasure and a privilege to attend this festival.

Fairbridge Festival
Lots of camping

No comments:

Post a Comment