Saturday 2 April 2011

Eric Bibb - Fly by Night - 2nd April 2011

When Eric Bibb walked on stage, at the Fly by Night Musicians Club in Fremantle, wearing his Panama hat and a wide smile, I knew we were in for a treat. I forgave the guy, sitting in front of me, for being born with a big head, and as soon as the first note was played, I was drawn into the land of Eric, hanging onto every note he played; man, can that dude play finger style, blues guitar.

By the third song, Eric was joined on stage by Swedish guitarist, Staffan Astner. The synergy between Bibb and Astner was pure entertainment and there was no doubt that the boys on stage were enjoying themselves. Anster providing some wonderful, non intrusive, sounds and fills on his electric guitar; much to the delight of the audience.
The songs just kept on coming, from upbeat and bluesy to slow and sincere. I found myself smiling all the while I was watching Eric strut his stuff; those funky little moves really did it for me! I can’t think of any other entertainer with an easier delivery and a more engaging stage personality. My favourite song, on the night, was the last song Eric sang before the encore. It was a new song to me, and I don’t remember the name, but Eric wrote it for his fiancé. I could have listened to that song all night long.
During the encore, when fans were suggesting the next song to sing, I nearly called out “She’s Still With Me,” but I remained silent and listened some more. Eric Bibb is so incredibly personable, friendly and sincere I couldn’t help musing, that if I met him in the street and said “G’day, mate, love your music,” Eric would probably say, “Great to meet you, Jane. Why don’t, you send me a friend request on face book!”

No comments:

Post a Comment